Important Things to Know if You Suffer a Torn Meniscus at Work

A workplace injury such as a torn meniscus can require you to miss work while you recover. It is important to know what to expect after you suffer a workplace injury. If you have been injured at work, make sure you speak to an experienced attorney right away.

What is a Torn Meniscus?

A meniscus is a piece of cartilage that acts as a cushion in your knee between the bones in your shin and thigh. The meniscus is shaped like a C and can be injured when a person’s knee twists and rotates during physical activity. If someone tears a meniscus, it can lead to severe pain and a compromised range of motion.

Options if You Tear Your Meniscus

Some meniscus injuries can heal over time with rest and proper treatment. Ice and medication are commonly used to help cope with a meniscus injury. More serious meniscus tears will require surgery which will lengthen the patient’s recovery time. Make sure you speak to an experienced doctor to determine your best recovery approach after a meniscus tear.

What Type of Compensation is Available for a Torn Meniscus?

If you have torn your meniscus in a workplace accident, workers’ compensation is available. Employers in California must carry workers’ compensation insurance coverage. This insurance coverage gives benefits in two general categories: medical benefits and disability pay. Medical benefits include surgery costs and rehabilitation treatment, among other expenses. Disability pay kicks in when an injury requires a hospital visit or causes the patient to miss more than three days from work. Disability pay compensates an injured employee at 2/3 of their normal pay, and a torn meniscus will likely require it.

Southern California Personal Injury Help is Here

If you are injured at work in or around Riverside, Oxnard, San Bernadino, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, or another neighborhood in Southern California, then the Accident Defenders are here. We help clients get compensated for their personal injuries. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (323) 591-2829 or contact us online.

Tell Us More About Your Case